Posted at TOMB:
So I bid on the E-bog and got a ADK TC mic from ’07, from a music store seller in New Jersey.
Preliminary power-up and it works fine, I think.
But when I take off the body there’s rust on the side rails, rust on the tube holder, the tranny, and various screws. There’s also some fine powder-grey corrosion on some of the solder.
The body itself has water-marks where its edge fits into the headbasket – if the marks are to be believed the mic was mebbe laying sideways in about 1/2″ of water …
I emailed the seller for history, etc., and to ask permission to open it and check the capsule because there’s paint on the headbasket screws and/or corrosion which will make it obvious if I open it.
What risks do you forsee if I keep this?
Is there anything I can do to prevent future problems?
Also, while the “Turbo-Tube” power box seems 100%, there is rust on the welds of the shock-mount and the screws on the pop-screen.
The case seems fine and there’s no smell, as if the thing was caught inna flooded basement, mebbe, and then washed quickly but not quite completely dried, and they failed to take the mic body off or else missed completely cleaning it …
vlayman; THD; blog; TFP
I got a good price on it (US$310 shipped) but the seller just responded with some apparent anger, and offensive denial.
Based on that attitude, I’ll wait for response to my reply, and then probably demand a refund.
Then I’ll probably have to fight about who pays return shipping …
As requested by the seller, I sent some photo’s as evidence, and here are 2:
Note the rust on the side rails, the tube-holder and glass, the screws, and the powder-corrosion on the solder.
The white stuff is water residue especially visible along the edge where it fit inside the headbasket assembly; the inside of the cover is filthy.
If anyone is interested in the dialogue, I’m happy to post that, altho’ I expect I’ll again get flamed for being mean to the seller.
Further evidence that it’s not natural humidity corrosion, but from immersion:
The seller, tho’, is insistent, “Our qualified electronic technician went over this microphone, with all of its accessories, and everything tested perfectly.”
Glad it/he/she is not my “qualified electronic technician”!
After the initial push-back, the seller agreed to a full refund and paid return shipping. Good on him.
Of course, I call his shipper, UPS, and they want US$7 to pick it up, so I had to contact the seller again …
I appreciate his/its situation but for any sellers reading this, please consider why someone in my position is less than thrilled/satisfied:
1. I am not your QC guy to test your item, and I further resent your questioning my immediate report of your self-created problems as tho’ I’m scamming (Other buyers have scammed you? Consider: other sellers have tried to scam me, too – or been so oblivious/incompetent/unconcerned/stupid that they have made mistakes at my cost, like you);
2. It is extra work for me to take and upload photo’s to prove that your “experienced tech doosh” didn’t open your item and check for damage (glad he’s yours, I don’t need another assault charge);
2. Many of us, with larger items, have to arrange add’l transport after receipt; ex., I had to pay for two cabs to get the item from my office to the train, and back (I ain’t carryin’ that un-padded-handle case for a mile thru the city along with my other shite, in my suit and tie).
3. In this instance, since your shipper, UPS initially said I don’t exist, I had to return a long-distance call to you to confirm my Pay-Pal listed address (tho’ you already rec’d my money from that account);
4. I have over an hour involved just in emails/PM’s and posting pic’s to assuage your baseless suspicions that I am the bad guy (when it was you fucked up);
5. You have had the use of my US$300+ (in this case) for about 3 weeks, at a minimum (Who’s the scammer? How about some interest? Go borrow $300 atta check-cash place, see what they charge!);
6. You treat me like the bad guy by refusing to return my money until you receive the defective item you fucked-up in sending in the first place, and I have to wait patiently and trust you to do so (See no. 5, above).
Anywhat, next week? I still want a ADK Tc or like-level tube mic …
vlayman; THD; blog; TFP
Filed under: Beyatchin', evilBog, G.A.S., Gear, Humor, Writing | Leave a comment »